The Leninist Lemon

A book review blog focusing on young adult fiction.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Grand and Humble by Brent Hartinger

So, I finally got my hands on this book (the library will always buy one Brent Hartinger book, so I’ll have to wait awhile to check it out - but they’re learning, though slowly, I think.) I love Brent Hartinger, but I have to say, I think I liked his other books better. But still, in comparison to the glut of stuff out there, this was a great read. Hartinger knows how to make a cohesive, fast-paced young adult fiction book that you can read in one sitting. So that’s what it is. It’s also very surrealist, because you can never figure out exactly what’s going on with Harlan and Manny. I’m not going to reveal the ending, but suffice to say I didn’t get it until about the second to last page, because I am teh lame. Yeah, that’s pretty much all I can say without spoiling the ending, though that’s pretty much all I would say anyway. It’s cohesive, short, when it’s done you get it, and I’m having a hard time thinking of any further analysis. Although there is a line in there I really like, about the “intersection of Grand and Humble,” where they meet and it all comes together. It’s pretty and lyrical, and yeah, I’m pretty much done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home